[OpenLayers-Users] setCenter does not work properly with an OSM layer?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 8 19:02:40 EDT 2009

When I'm making a map with a WMS layer, then the .setCenter works as expected.
But when I replace the WMS layer with the OSM layer, than zooming with
.setCenter works, but the map is always centered at 0,0.

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

The code I'm using is
         var map;

         function init(){
             map = new OpenLayers.Map('map', {
                       controls:[new OpenLayers.Control.Navigation(),
                                 new OpenLayers.Control.PanZoomBar(),
                                 new OpenLayers.Control.ScaleLine(),
                                 new OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition(),
                                 new OpenLayers.Control.Permalink(),
                                 new OpenLayers.Control.Attribution()
                       ],
                       maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(-180, -90, 180, 90),
                       displayProjection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"),
	                  maxResolution:'auto'
	            });
             layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
                 "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0", {layers: 'basic'} );
             map.addLayer(layer);

             map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(5.3,52.15),6);

or change the last lines to:

             layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Mapnik("Mapnik");
             map.addLayer(layer);

             map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(5.3,52.15),6);

(or complete html at http://www.maasluip.nl/ebt/georss-markers-wms.html and
http://www.maasluip.nl/ebt/georss-markers-osm.html)

Regards,
Maarten