[OpenLayers-Users] Strategy cluster and slow map behavior.

Tiemens, Gerben Gerben.Tiemens at grontmij.nl
Tue Mar 17 11:46:37 EDT 2009

Hello OpenLayers List users,

I'm implementing the cluster strategy and im facing a problem. I have a 500 features on the map from a KML file, with google layer as baselayer.
With clustering on the KML layer, the map acts really slow. When zooming in, the map acts slower and slower. Every zoom step, the next zoomstep will be slower.
When clustering is off, the map acts fast again, even it has more features on it.
I turned of the special styling, but even that does not help in this case. The map keeps acting slow with each zoom action.

My site is: http://www.getiem.nl/mineralmap/mineralmap.html
The javascript is on  http://www.getiem.nl/mineralmap/strahlen.js

Does anyone have an idea why clustering is slowing down on the zoomed in map?
Is this a bug or issue to resolve?
Maybe you see a flaw in my code.

 1.  Steps to reproduce:
 2.  Zoom in on the map.
 3.  When zoomed in to lets say the Netherlands, its slowed down to seconds,
 4.  when zooming further, each step takes longer.

My first insights are:  all features are drawn in memory (also features outside map), and thats why it is taking longer when zoomed in: it draws all 500 features.  But thats not satisfying, since loading all features at once and then zooming in is faster.

Greetings

Gerben

<< Please read our E-mail Disclaimer at the Grontmij Corporate website >>