[OpenLayers-Users] WGS84 data on Google layer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 19 16:08:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:38:38AM +1300, Craig Stanton wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I've sorted the clustering strategy that Ivan mentioned a few days ago but have come upon another problem I'd appreciate some advice on. My data is stored as WGS84 lat/longs and I want to use Google Terrain as the base layer, but the points drift off their locations as they get closer to the bottom of the map window. I know the problem is in the projections I'm using but I can't figure out the right combination of 900913, 4326, WGS84 etc etc. Could someone please explain what I should do to the vector layer on which my points are plotted and to the Google layer I am using as my base.

You didn't explain how your points are 'being plotted'. Loaded via
KML/GML? Constructed manually and Added via addFeatures()? The answer
depends on the situation.

In geneal:
 * If you create the geometry, it's your job to transform it.
 * If you are using a Layer which creates the geometry, setting the
  'projection' option to match the projection of the remote data should
  do it for you.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta