[OpenLayers-Users] WMS overlay on spherical mercator

David Hollema dhollema at UnitedPower.com
Mon Mar 30 18:52:16 EDT 2009

Question,

I'm trying to overlay a geoserver WMS on MS Virtual Earth base map.  I
have my map projection set correctly.  My issue is with my WMS served
from geoserver.  My native SRS in geoserver is EPSG 2231 (CO State Plane
feet).  My understanding is geoserver can reproject automatically to
900913 but not sure if I need to physically make that request in the
openlayers.layer.wms constructor.  Either way, my data originally in
State Plane are reprojected incorrectly and do not line up with the VE
base map.

What does the 'SRS' option in the WMS layer constructor due?  Does it
simply let OL know what the projection of the WMS layer is or does it
actually request the WMS server to reproject?

David A. Hollema

GIS Analyst

 United Power, Inc.