[OpenLayers-Users] SLD on the fly

Pedro Baracho pedropbaracho at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:29:17 EST 2009

I need to change SLD on the fly to create some thematic maps. I would also
appreciate if compatibility with OGC's WFS was mantained. Have you guys done
this before? I could use some suggestions... :P

I have done some searching and came up with a couple of solutions.

1- GeoServer GeoExt Styler Plugin.
I don't know if it is a good solution, because as far as I know, it changes
the style of the layer for all the users. I would need to replicate styles
on the server for each user and each layer. And also this requires the
server to be Geoserver, and breaks OGC compatibility.

2- WMS 1.3 and SLD
MapServer implements WMS 1.3 and accepts a SLD description in the request.
GeoServer doesn't.
Nothing against MapServer, but my current development environment is set
with GeoServer..

3- WFS and treat SLD exhibition on the client
This is a double edged solution. The good thing about WFS is that I have
many more possibilities of control over the map. I can use SelectFeature
control, instead of hacking some code to implement it over WMS. But it also
gives me many other options I don't need such as the vector data. I only
need the images.

So right now I am between solutions 2 and 3. I don't want to give up on
GeoServer, but I am also having problems dealing with the huge amount of
vector data that WFS is retrieving.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.