[OpenLayers-Users] connection to a google-like tiled service

Brad Spencer brad at cubewerx.com.au
Wed Nov 18 21:54:10 EST 2009

Guys,

I have reached a point where I really need help.

I am trying to connect to a published web service that is configured like
GoogleMaps. They have given me instruction of the url philosophy and have
explained that the Urls will look very similar to Google's.

Instructions were...

http://www.nearmap.com/maps/hl=en
<http://www.nearmap.com/maps/hl=en&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&nml=Vert&s=Ga>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&nml=Vert&s=Ga

    * The x, y, and z are the image location and zoom level, with the same
values used by Google or Bing (ie, standard slippymap tile co-ordinates).

    * The nml parameter is the NearMap layer, and can be one of:

          o Vert for PhotoMap 'Vertical' images

          o N, S, E or W for MultiView images looking North, South, East or
West

          o Map for NearMap StreetMap images

          o Dem for terrain images

    * The hl is the Host Language; only English is currently supported

    * The s parameter is ignored; it can be used as with Google Maps, to
work around issues in FireFox's caching

The equivalent Google Maps URL would be:

http://khm0.google.com/kh/v=48
<http://khm0.google.com/kh/v=48&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga

NearMap also support this format; just change the hostname:

http://www.nearmap.com/kh/v=48
<http://www.nearmap.com/kh/v=48&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga

In fact, NearMap have a set of hostnames that match Google's, so the only
change needed is to the domain:

http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48
<http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga

These URLs will get the latest NearMap images.  To give a specific date, add
the nmd parameter, with the date in YYYYMMDD format.  For example:

http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48
<http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga&nmd=20091031>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga&nmd=20091031

http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48
<http://khm0.nearmap.com/kh/v=48&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga&nmd=20090926>
&x=53843&y=38889&z=16&s=Ga&nmd=20090926

You should be able to replace google with nearmap in most Google image URLs
and get an equivalent image.  However, there are some differences:

    * The recently introduced Google lyrs parameter isn't yet supported.

    * NearMap doesn't have a layer with terrain data and maps combined, like
Google.

    * The NearMap servers will deduce the type of image from the URL path
(/kh or /mt), the Google-compatible v parameter (if supplied) or the nml
parameter.  The nml parameter overrides the others.

To open the NearMap map page with a given location shown, use a URL like:

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-31.962103,115.832505
<http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-31.962103,115.832505&z=15&t=h> &z=15&t=h

The same URL can be used with Google:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.962103,115.832505
<http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.962103,115.832505&z=15&t=h> &z=15&t=h

So I looked in OL lists etc and found the page about TMS.
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UsingCustomTiles

But I have never done this before and I managed to get the following test
app going but with no luck on the nearmaps data layer.

http://demos.numaps.com.au/nearmap_test.html

It seems to be navigating the tiles correctly but they are all broken
(pink). I must be doing something very wrong because if you copy the
location (firebug) of the Url into browser it works.
http://www.nearmap.com/?x=69
<http://www.nearmap.com/?x=69&y=186&z=10&hl=en&nml=Vert&s=Galileo>
&y=186&z=10&hl=en&nml=Vert&s=Galileo

But I also do not really understand why as this is getting a whole map area
of tiles and not a single tile?

Can anyone who has done this before have a quick look at my code for this
example.

Its probably very simple I have tried everything I can think of with no
luck.

Cheers, Brad..