[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with WMSGetFeatureInfo erroring out

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Nov 20 17:23:50 EST 2009

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> OK, part of the problem is solved I added to the matadata:
>>
>> 'wms_feature_info_mime_type' "text/html"
>>
>> which fix the error, but now I get back what looks like image map of the
>> features which is not what I was expecting.
>>

> Are you using an old 5.6 beta? This issue was fixed in 5.6-beta4:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3024#comment:5

MapServer version 5.6.0-beta2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=RGBA_PNG INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

OK, I'll upgrade before doing anything more.

>> I currently have TEMPLATE "dummy" in my layers, do I need to create a
>> real template for each layer? I thought that this was supposed to return
>> GML with something like COL_NAME = col_value for each of the columns.
>>

> Yes, to use wms_feature_info_mime_type you need real TEMPALTEs in your
> queryable layers. This metadata is there exactly to specify what format
> the query templates return.
>
> Note that in 5.6, with the new templating mechanism introduced in
> RFC-36, you can generate output formats such as GeoJSON, etc which may
> better suit your needs than GML or straight text/html. See
> http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-36.html

Cool, I had forgotten about this change, I'll reread it.

-Steve