[OpenLayers-Users] WFS-T

JuKiM rifins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:17:05 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm searching documentation about WFS-T, because with I can understand, it
let to create new entries in the datastore through the GeoServer....

I create the map, and a wms layers which is displayed, and then I create the
wfs layer..

wfs = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS("Test_Layer","
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs",
                {typename: 'Test:dots'},
                {
                    typename: "dots",
                    featureNS: "http://www.uriURL.org/test",
                    extractAttributes: false,
                    commitReport: function(str) {
                     alert(str);
                        OpenLayers.Console.log(str);
            );

var draw = new OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(
                wfs, OpenLayers.Handler.Point,
                {
                    handlerOptions: {freehand: false, multi: true},
                    displayClass: "olControlDrawFeaturePoint"
                }
            );

            var save = new OpenLayers.Control.Button({
                trigger: OpenLayers.Function.bind(wfs.commit, wfs),
                displayClass: "olControlSaveFeatures"
            });

            panel.addControls([
                new OpenLayers.Control.Navigation(),
                save, draw
            ]);

            map.addControl(panel);

When I save the new points, they are insterted in the DB, but with empty
values.. Only the auto incremental id is created..
In my table there are four fields, 'id', 'location', 'description', 'type'.
How can I configure the WFS calls to create the new entries with all the
information? (The information about description and type is the same, and is
stored in a textfield, and the location should be the different points of
the map..

And on the other hand, if the datasource contains about 40.000 positions, is
better to work with WMS and process the information in server side?

Thanks!