[OpenLayers-Users] Loading marker layers via geoJSON

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 14 06:58:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:19:31AM +0200, Geoffrey Cartwright wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I currently am loading point data to a feature layer using geojson,
> but I would prefer to use common markers instead of vector features
> for performance reasons (I'm using marker images anyway).
>
> I tried using "OpenLayers.Layer.Marker" instead of
> "OpenLayers.Layer.Vector", but I get a javascript error (no renderer
> present). Loading them manually is not an option, since I'm using a
> BBox strategy.

Layer.Marker*s* is the class. Also, note that there is no such thing as
using a BBOX strategy, selectfeaturecontrol, etc. with a Markers layer;
it has a completely different way of handling interactions, as
described in
  http://docs.openlayers.org/library/overlays.html#id4

(I'm also not aware of any way in which Markers are much faster than
vectors; generally it's the other way around, though that may not be
the case in all browsers.)

-- Chris

> Can anyone help me on this?
>
> Many thanks!