[OpenLayers-Users] Control access to WMS

Guillaume Sueur no-reply at neogeo-online.net
Wed Oct 14 17:03:39 EDT 2009

> Thanks Robert,
> Interesting.
> If someone is using a client such as gaia or qgis, can he access the
> layers only by entering "http://10.64.20.120/cgi-bin/gsswms.exe?" as
> the URL
> Or if we do a getMap request, what happen?

if it was a public server it should, yes, which doesn't give this
approach any control access solution, just a "hide map" solution.

I think that mixing referer control (request must come from a specific
site) AND browser control (reject all perl, python, curl, wget stuffs
which can set a fake referer) can give a good control on the access,
without having to handle authentication. Am I wrong ?

Guillaume