[OpenLayers-Users] Any performance difference between Layer.Mapserver and Layer.WMS?

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Wed Oct 21 03:28:15 EDT 2009

Hello,

Just wondering if it pays out to migrate my "legacy" Mapserver layers to
WMS layers. Is there a speed/security benefit in doing so? Or is it just
recommended because WMS is a standard? Does Mapserver itself have better
performance in WMS mode compared to its cgi mode?

To me, it seems Mapserver needs to do the same things while rendering
the map so if there's a speed benefit it isn't obvious...

Thanks,
Adrian