[OpenLayers-Users] beginner Q - misaligned layers, must be a projection?

chrisjongkind chris0002 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:05:52 EDT 2009

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n3864257/walesprojection.jpg

hi guys,

first, please feel free to point me to a more beginner forum if need be; OL
is totally new to me and I am only a WFS/WMS newbie anyway in general, so I
don't mind being told to post elsewhere or whatever...

right now, simple stuff, just trying to overlay a kml I made from a
shapefile, onto the bing aerial layer.  I had no trouble overlaying the same
kml onto the OL WMS (I think it was "OpenLayers WMS",
"http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0" in my page), but their projection
matched, now you can see in the attached image that my wales.kml and bing
aerial do not match, but what shall I do?

here is my code (largely from tutorials, just tailored for my work):

  <head>
    <title>chris tutorialsContd3</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="../theme/default/style.css" type="text/css"
/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
    <script
src="http://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=6.2&mkt=en-us"></script>

    <script src="OpenLayers.js"></script>

    <script>

        var map;

        function init(){
            map = new OpenLayers.Map("map");
            map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());

            var aerial = new OpenLayers.Layer.VirtualEarth("Aerial", {
                type: VEMapStyle.Aerial
            });

                        var layerWales = new OpenLayers.Layer.GML("Wales
polygon", "chris/waleskml.kml", {format: OpenLayers.Format.KML})

            map.addLayers([aerial,layerWales]);

            map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(-5, 51), 7);
        }

    </script>
  </head>
    <h1 id="title">Bing Example</h1>