[OpenLayers-Users] MultiPolygons

Scott Lewis scott.lewis at nsidc.org
Tue Oct 27 10:50:29 EDT 2009

Polygon objects have an exterior ring and (optionally) multiple interior
rings.  With OpenLayers, when you create a Polygon object, the first
Ring you provide is the exterior ring; the rest are the interior rings.
  If you had multiple "holes", you could add them.

Seems like you found out how to get it to do what you want, but I
figured it wouldn't hurt to know "why" it works!

A MultiPolygon would be used if you have multiple, independent polygons
that you wanted grouped together; each polygon could have internal rings
also, but each polygon would be a separate entity and wouldn't really
affect the definition of the other polygons.  You are correct that for
what you need, a MultiPolygon isn't needed.

Scott