[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers + Mapserver, (max)extent issues.

Grenage grenage at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:12:42 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I am very new to computer cartography (or cartography of any kind), so
please forgive me if I am missing anything obvious.

Having compiled and installed mapserver-5.4.2, Postgresql,
mapserver-utilities and a host of dependencies on Ubuntu, I have what seems
to be a working system.  Using osm2pgsql I can generate images from imported
data (UK osm data file imported into the postgresql db).

I have been following this great guide:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData

Using the same data set, extents and OpenLayers html template as those in
the guide, it worked wonderfully; but now I wish to map the UK using
OpenLayers.  What I have done differently is import a UK osm file and
modified the extents in both the map file and html code referencing
OpenLayers.

A query of the postgresql db yields a range of: -961830.375
4104724.5,3775698.5 8590518

This is where it all goes wrong.  Whilst I can generate a png from the map
file using osm2pgsql, my page referencing OpenLayers doesn't like it at all.
The tile(s) are white and IE debugging lists an error of:

Line: 832
Char: 54
Error: 'this.center' is null or not an object

To me, this says "your config is bad", but I'm making no headway on my own.
If anyone here can see where I am going wrong, I'd love some input.