[OpenLayers-Users] WMS and WFS layers

eoinyp eoinyp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 09:06:08 EDT 2009

Hi list,
I have been using WMS layers served up by geoserver no problem up to now.
I would like to try using WFS layers, but am having a little difficulty. I
cant see what I am doing wrong.
Can anyone spot anything wrong in what Im doing?

This is what I use to set up a WMS layer:
  // setup WMS layer
                statesWMS = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
                    "American states", "http://ncg.nuim.ie/geoserver/wms",
                    {
                        layers: 'states',
                        styles: '',
                        format: format,
                        tiled: 'true',
                        transparent: "true",
                        tilesOrigin : "-127.61950064999999,23.7351786"
                    },
                    {buffer: 1}
                );

This is what I use to set up a WFS layer:
//setup WFS layer
                 statesWFS = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS(
                 "States WFS",  "http://ncg.nuim.ie/geoserver/wfs",
                    {
                      typename: 'states',
                      isBaseLayer: 'false',
                      } );

The WMS layer displays fine, but the WFS shows nothing, seems like just a
transparent layer.
I set up the datastore/coverage etc fine in Geoserver (I think) as the WMS
gives no problems.

The working example is here:
http://www.eoinmaca.com/maps/OpenLayers/wmswfs.htm

Any help greatly appreciated.