[OpenLayers-Users] mouse event return clicked layer

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Fri Sep 4 10:24:02 EDT 2009

gustavo palminha wrote:
> Hello andreas.
> I bottom line is that i would like to create a sort of GetFeatureInfo for my
> WMS layers.
> I do not use mapserver or geoserver, instead i use manifold gis which doen
> not provide a valid WSDL for a working GetFeatureInfo.

Wow, I was not aware that there is a SOAP-based flavour of
GetFeatureInfo that requires a WSDL. I think your point is that Manifold
does not support GetFeatureInfo [1].

> So my main goal would be to know how to discover a way to capture the name
> of the clicked wms layer.
> Assuming that this is not possible i was thinking about doing this:
> OL Side (client side)
> •Build a list of shown/active layers (by reading the layers on the layser
> selection menu)
> •Pass this list to a webservice with the x,y
> Server Side (webservice)
> •Filter them excluding the ones from the list where they did not
> touch/intersect the x/y
> •Read back the items retrieved and the user should have pressed the last
> layer in the list.

This sounds like re-inventing the wheel. See [1] for suggestions on how
to work around this. You could also contact Manifold support and suggest
they add GetFeatureInfo (hey, you paid for that software), or replace
Manifold with some GetFeatureInfo capable WMS like Geoserver or UMN
Mapserver.

Regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://forum.manifold.net/forum/t82857.12