[OpenLayers-Users] How to Improve speed in IE when dealing with a lot of elements? Clusters?

François Van Der Biest francois.vanderbiest at camptocamp.com
Mon Sep 14 03:08:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Philip Bruvoll <pbruvoll at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, we have built an application with OpenLayers, and it seems we have too
> many elements in
> the map for IE to handle properly (works ok in FF and Chrome).
> Amongst other tings, we need to mark about 300 locations (and update their
> position from time to time). They should be selected on mouse-over
> and trigger some functions on left and right click. Currently we are using a
> Vector-layer containing point-features.
> I've had a look at the cluster example,
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html.
> Is this the best way to go, or are there any other ways of improving IE
> performance?

If I had to implement this, I'd use OpenLayers' getFeature control
with a WFS or MapFish protocol, and a singletiled raster WMS layer to
display the points. The WMS layer would be periodically refreshed to
display updated locations.

See for instance http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html

HTH,
F.