[OpenLayers-Users] .MapServer v. .WMS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Sep 15 09:22:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 06:22:58PM -0500, P Kishor wrote:
> Two questions --
>
> 1. Given that I can query OpenLayers.Layer.WMS() just as easily as
> OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer(), is one preferred over the other? I feel
> I am getting a better response from OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer() over
> OpenLayers.Layer.WMS()... am I hallucinating, or should I do some
> measured testing?

It sounds like with Layer.WMS, you are automatically reprojecting your
data. With Layer.MapServer, you are not -- that's why it doesn't line
up. As a result, I would expect a *significant* difference in speed.

However, if you were to set your map so that it reproject via
Layer.MapServer, you would have the same slowdown.

Go with Layer.WMS. Layer.MapServer is only designed for legacy support.

-- CHris

> 2. My data are in meters, projection epsg:3071, and my mapfile reflect
> that. My wms_srs incantation includes "epsg:4326 epsg:3071
> epsg:900913". I have a Google Maps baselayer. When I query the data
> via OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(), the layers align perfectly. However, when
> I query the same data via OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer(), my layers are
> not aligned with Google Maps. I am assuming that is because wms is
> getting the hint to use 900913, while MapServer is not getting any
> such hint. I have "reproject: true" in my layer
>
> --
> Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
> Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org
> Charter Member, Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org