[OpenLayers-Users] Maximum number of markers

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Thu Apr 1 00:21:48 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010, Jordi Romagos i Figueras
<jordi_romagos at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, thanks Bart! I'm sorry I belive the problem was about the Openlayers version not about the browser.
>
> My problem is that I'm trying to build a tracking system and I have to show a llot of positions into the map and this hangs the browser (IE6 and IE7).
>
> What's the best strategy from show the maximum number of positions into the map: markers, vectors?

Hi.

With lots of objects the best strategy might be to not rely on
vectors/markers, and rely on server-side rendering with images
displayed in the browser (single tile WMS for example). For user
interactivity you can rely on the GetFeature or WMSGetFeatureInfo
control.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine