[OpenLayers-Users] please help us test OpenLayers 2.9RC1

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Sat Apr 3 01:01:47 EDT 2010

bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi Arnd,
>
> thanks for your report. I've tracked that change down to:
>
> http://trac.openlayers.org/changeset/10044
>
> Tim, are you able to comment on Arnd's suggestion (see below)? TIA.

http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2561

Calling setCenter before adding layers has always failed.  I considered
it equivalent behavior to require layers in the constructor if a center
was provided (and included a test to enforce this).

Arnd, while things might be working for you at 2.8, I'd consider it
somewhat risky to set map center (and zoom) in the options and then call
setCenter again with the same values after adding layers.  There are a
number of checks that compare the current center/zoom to the values
passed to setCenter.  If things haven't changed, I think it is
reasonable to assume that setCenter should do nothing.

Not sure what others think, but I can imagine that at some point we'd
forget this case and make it so setCenter had no effect if the passed
values were already set on the map.

Actually, it would probably be better to do whatever needs to be done in
setCenter without failing when there are no layers.

Anyway, the ticket is up for review.

Tim

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org