[OpenLayers-Users] Rootcontainers z-index

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Tue Apr 13 11:05:15 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am successfully using the OL SelectFeature Control with multiple
layers. One thing that catches my interest is the z-index layering.
Usually I take good care in adding my layers in a meaningful order to
the map. But adding some layers to the SelectFeature Control breaks this
ordering since the selectable layers are added to the RootContainer
which is always on top of the layer stack. From what I read in the
mailing list, this is so to ensure the proper event handling of the
control. But then the drawing order is not satisfactory.

What can I do if I want to preserve my layer ordering and have the same
functionality as the SelectFeature Control on multiple layers (hover on
feature)? Should I add the event listeners to the layer?

I am making a map for the Luxembourg marathon with an animation which
shows where the crowd is running at a certain time with the help of a
marker layer and right now my markers are below the running track which
is somewhat suboptimal ;-)

Many thanks

Frank

--