[OpenLayers-Users] Suggestion for hosting platform?

Mapmaker bmcbride at chacompanies.com
Thu Apr 15 17:29:38 EDT 2010

Hey Jeff,

I've had great performance with a GeoServer/OpenLayers setup.

GeoServer will offer you several configuration options- so you can tweak
your environment to match your needs as they change.  GeoServer supports
shapefiles, postgis, and sql server- as well as several other data stores
and will render WMS, WFS, WCS, KML, and plenty of other formats.

PostGIS will not serve WMS directly (to the best of my knowledge)- but will
allow you to extract GML and KML vector data from your SQL queries.

Feel free to check out the Open GeoPortal application I developed using a
fairly straightforward GeoServer/OpenLayers setup:
http://www.opengeohost.com/maps/stlawrence/
http://www.opengeohost.com/maps/stlawrence/

This application has several commercial basemap layers and all the overlays
are single tile WMS layers served up by GeoServer from a shapefile store.
The search functionality is accomplished via WFS and CQL queries.
Everything is wrapped up in an ExtJS layout- providing plenty of screen real
estate for the various tools and tabs.

Best of luck with your application and I hope I was able to help answer some
of your questions!

BRYAN