[OpenLayers-Users] Auto-refreshing a GeoRSS layer

Hubick, William William.Hubick at cobham.com
Tue Aug 10 13:05:27 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

My project is considering GeoRSS as our data-sharing standard with partners. I am pleased with how easily OpenLayers will display GeoRSS points, but I'm wondering how other developers ensure efficient auto-updates. My first impression was that OpenLayers would automatically check a GeoRSS XML file and automatically load updates (i.e., like an RSS aggregator). When further exploring, it seems like custom code must be written to auto-update the layer.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to ensure new points added to a GeoRSS file are automatically, efficiently loaded by OpenLayers (without page refresh)? It seems like there must be a better way to update the layer than destroying and reloading the GeoRSS layer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Bill Hubick