[OpenLayers-Users] clickTolerance on selectFeature?

Alex Brandsen alex.brandsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 04:47:49 EDT 2010

Hi Phil,

that might be a good way to solve this as well. I'll give it a go!

Thanks,

Alex.

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:07:01 +1200
From: Phil Scadden <p.scadden at gns.cri.nz>
Subject: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] clickTolerance on selectFeature?
To: users at openlayers.org

> I'm mainly dealing with polylines, but if that is the only way, then
> so be it. How can I perform buffer calculations?

Buffering every line in your display to see if selected is very
intensive. If you are struggling with accurate selection of lines, can I
suggest an alternative approach? If you use a highlight only hoverselect
control as well as a select control, then you can move mouse till target
is highlighted, then click to select.

Code like:
                       HoverSelectControl = new
OpenLayers.Control.
SelectFeature(myLayers,{hover:true, highlightOnly:
true, renderIntent: "temporary" });
                       SelectControl = new
OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature(myLayers,{clickout: true});
                       SelectControl.events.on({
                                "featurehighlighted": onFeatureSelect,
                                "featureunhighlighted": onFeatureUnselect
                       });
                       map.addControl(HoverSelectControl);
                       map.addControl(SelectControl);
                       HoverSelectControl.activate();
                       SelectControl.activate();

The order you add controls is important - hover first. I find that this
feels quite natural.

If  the layers cans handle wfs, you might be better to create a
wfsprotocol object and do a spatial intersects
query, passing a rectangle around the click point and then processing
the return.