[OpenLayers-Users] GeoTIFF display

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Aug 12 05:14:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

the problem is that most browsers don't support the TIF format. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Image_format_support

So there are two prerequisites:
1) Your users have to use Safari
2) You have to know the bounding box and resolution of your GeoTIFF, because you do not have access to the EXIF information by means of javascript.

If you have that, you can use Layer.Image to display your tif. Note, however, that this does not make sense for large (i.e. more than a few megs) images.

So instead of going down this bumpy road, I'd suggest using GeoServer's RESTconfig API to create a data store and layer from your GeoTIFF. You can use JavaScript to do that.

Regards,
Andreas.

On Aug 12, 2010, at 09:43 , Mickael BEAUFILS wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am creating some geoTIFF files via a WPS request and I would like to display them in an Openlayers framework.
> GeoServer enable to do this but not in a direct way (you have to put the files in geoserver data directory, config the access the file in the Geoserver admin page, ...).
> At this time, is there a solution to directly display a geoTIFF on OpenLayers ?
>
> Thanks for your help !
>
> Regards,
>
> MB

Andreas Hocevar