[OpenLayers-Users] ad-hoc bbox wfs query

Charlton Galvarino charlton at 2creek.com
Wed Aug 18 17:00:53 EDT 2010

Hi, all.  I have been banging my head against the wall and am probably going down the wrong rabbit hole as I try and create more ways to go around my rear to get to my elbow.

Essentially what I want to do is the equivalent of taking the http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html example and having it 'magically' create a bbox and fire all the normal WFS stuff upon startup as if a user had performed the same actions.  E.g. the app. launches and some event is triggered that gives the same results had the user created a bbox around the west coast states.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  I have looked around to see what events get fired when a bbox is drawn, but I'm coming up short.

This is important to me because I am breaking a traditional WFS interaction into two parts:  (1) a preview of sorts that drills through the active layers which grabs a # of features hit count in a popup table (no geometries pulled back); (2) select one of the active layers of interest from the table to actually perform the real WFS query (this is the part that needs the magic of the bbox event handling).

TIA,

Charlton

Charlton Galvarino
1 (803) 233-6205 : voice