[OpenLayers-Users] Parsing KML file or rather using custom format

Boris T. boris.tkc at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 05:01:09 EST 2010

Hi all,

first of all thanks to all you folks spending your time for such a great
library.
I'm pretty new to OpenLayers and started reading the API few weeks ago and
checked the examples too.

Bit by bit I think to understand the concept of OpenLayers, and I was hoping
that some of you OL "cracks" can help me to answer a few questions.

I need to build a small application where I can see a bunch of vehicles
moving on the map.
Actually, I already have an application which is generating a KML file with
all information for Google Earth. This is working pretty well. Now I want to
use OpenLayer with Open Street Map.

My first thought was to use the KML I already have and use the OL integrated
function to parse the KML file and put the marker on the map.
However, the KML file my application generates right now is pretty complex
(Data Schema and other ugly things).
My first test showed that the KML parser isn't reading all attributes and
styles. And one of the most important styles is ignored -
heading/rotation/direction!
Is this correct? Can some one approve it?According to my tests the IconStyle
<heading> is ignored by the KML parser.

Is there a way to get the feature <heading> included? (probably something
for the dev-list)
Or, can I manipulate the parsed KML placemarks before they are added to the
map?

Another approach could be to create an custom format, described in the
Library Documentation (http://docs.openlayers.org/library/formats.html).
I thought of having a function which generates a XML or JSON string I can
trigger to put the markers on the map - including the icon rotation.
What would be the best way to do that? Does anybody know/has an example I
can check?

Many Thanks!
Boris