[OpenLayers-Users] Vector layer with map.events.register("click")

gingerbbm stuart.jones at jacobs.com
Mon Jun 7 12:26:16 EDT 2010

Dear all

I retrieve a set of points from GeoServer as a WMS tile. Using
map.events.register('click',...) I attempt to retrieve information about a
specific point when the map is clicked, using a bespoke WFS call.

I am now required to provide some data about each point on mouseover so have
been investigating OpenLayers.Layer.Vector and
OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature. My initial idea is to keep my original WMS
layer and supplement it with a WFS-driven Vector layer. See this mock-up:

http://v5dev.elgin.gov.uk/sw.html

The idea is to set the opacity of the style of the vector objects to 0.01 to
take advantage of the "selected" behaviour while seemingly not affecting the
map appearance. But using this two-layer method, the map clicks are not
triggering over the vector objects.

So... two questions:

1. Is there a way to make map.events.register('click',...) work when a
vector object is selected?
2. Should I abandon this and simply use the vector layer exclusively
(plotting the relevant images at the appropriate points)?

Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Stuart