[OpenLayers-Users] Vector layer with map.events.register("click")

gingerbbm stuart.jones at jacobs.com
Tue Jun 8 04:03:31 EDT 2010

Brad, thanks for your thoughts.

Brad Spencer wrote:

> I think its horses for courses really. A lot of people get hung up about
> mouseover interactivity and force programmers to do all sorts of
> gymnastics
> to try to make a loosely coupled web app look like as responsive as a
> desktop GIS.

We used to have an IE-only SVG map. It was slow loading but a lot of useful
data was in the browser so we could do instant tooltips on mouseover. We
have since moved to a cross-browser tiles-based system (thanks to
OpenLayers) and so we're trying to implement as much of the old
functionality.

Brad Spencer wrote:

> Also, the area that a user decides to apply this approach to maynot be
> controllable by you and could lead to excessive and unnecessary geometry
> download times.

The idea is to use a WMS layer exclusively when zoomed out, switching on the
supplementary vector layer at small scales. I'm conscious of how heavy the
WFS request can be.

Brad Spencer wrote:

> Now to answer your question regarding clicking on the vector layer. I
> found
> that you have to make the vector layer the top layer to avoid these
> conflicts. So I manipulate the z-index of the vector layer to make sure
> its
> at the top.

Cool, I'll try it. I've since seen an example where two SelectFeature
objects are applied to one layer, so I'll look at that too.