[OpenLayers-Users] SphericalMercator and EPSG aliases

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca
Wed Apr 20 14:16:00 EDT 2011

Hi,
We are maiking the modification in order to use epsg:3857 instead of
900913.
We read this section: SphericalMercator and EPSG aliases in
http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/SphericalMercator

We don't understand this part
// set transformation functions from/to alias projection
OpenLayers.Projection.addTransform("EPSG:4326", "EPSG:3857",
OpenLayers.Layer.SphericalMercator.projectForward);
OpenLayers.Projection.addTransform("EPSG:3857", "EPSG:4326",
OpenLayers.Layer.SphericalMercator.projectInverse);

Why is this for and when should we use it? Do we need to do that for
several epsg code?

thanks for your help,
Steve