[OpenLayers-Users] Newbie question: OpenLayers with mapserver?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sun Apr 24 12:26:37 EDT 2011

     An important reason is to give end-users more choice when selecting
tools.  If the data is published using standards such as WMS or WFS they
they may be able to choose between tens (or hundreds!) of different
client-side applications to access the data.  If it is published in a
proprietary or a not widely used protocol, then the choice may be very
limited.

   It can be very frustrating to users if the end application is very
tightly tied to the data and the application does not have one or two
features they require.  With widely supported open standards, they can
use their favorite application to use the data in ways the system
designer had not imagined.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser