[OpenLayers-Users] Newbie question: OpenLayers with mapserver?

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:51:31 EDT 2011

To add to what Brent said, there is no performance advantage (that I
am aware of) to serving a raster layer from MapServer using the native
MapServer CGI interface over the WMS interface.  It is also pretty
easy to configure MapServer to serve a layer as a WMS.

The advantage that you have is that there are more client libraries
and applications that support the WMS standard than those that support
individual 'map server' specific protocols.  The support for WMS data
sources may also include more options and functionality than for other
protocols.

Also, if you wanted to look at your data layer in a desktop GIS, most
proprietary and OpenSource desktop GIS support WMS data sources.

David.