[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Optimizing page load time (reducing size of polygons) and preventing IDL polyong splits.

Coup Coup tencoupons55 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 15:21:53 EDT 2011

Hello,
I have built a (using django postgis and openlayers) display about 200 specific
polygon shapes consisting of clusters of counties in the US (including Alaska,
Puerto Rico and Hawaii). I am displaying using Google as  base map and then
applying the polygons to features which I attach  to one of 10 layers. I am
transforming the data to projection 900913 and  displaying the features as
vectors.

I have two issues I am looking for feedback or suggestions on:
1. Map load optimization:
The  data is almost 1MB. I have applied the simplify utility and whittled  down
the number of points in each polygon (which was as high as 8,000)  down to an
average of 150 per shape. (Some polygons cant be simplfied or  they will lose
their entire shape). I tried to unionagg() the entire  list of  polygons into 1
but I lose so much definition and will also lose the  ability to enhance the map
by allowing individual selection and  labelling. Is there a way to get the data
set even smaller without  losing shape quality?

2. One of the polygons is in Alaska, and  encompasses the islands in the
Aleutians West. Upon completion of the  building the map, I'm calling
map.zoomToExtent(bounds); (where bounds is  the collective bounds of all of the
polygons) and because Aleutians  West is so close in proximity to the IDL
(international date line)  it is placing part of the polygon on either side of
the map so it is  zooming way out (so you can see the whole world map) and
splitting  repeating the polygon on the respective portion of the map. Is there
a  way to move the IDL so it wont try to split it in this way?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Coop