[OpenLayers-Users] Re: Mouse position coordinates

Graham Gauld graham.gauld at aberdeenshire.gov.uk
Thu Aug 4 09:17:14 EDT 2011

For anybody interested...

I've tracked down the cause of the mouse pointer offset problem I was
having.

It seems to result from the OpenLayers map being inside an HTML <table>
element whose border attribute is set to the value '1' (e.g. <table
border="1"><tr><td><div id="map" style="width: 700px; height:

The solution is to set the 'border' value to zero. HTML tables are used to
structure the layout of my page, and every table in which the map <div> is
contained had to have its 'border' value set to zero.

For example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------  |
      | | TABLE 2 (command buttons)
|  |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------  |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------  |
      | | TABLE 3 - contains map <div>
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------  |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------  |
      | | TABLE 4  (other content)
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |
      | |
|  |

In the above, tables 1 and 3 both had to have their 'border' value set to
zero.

I would be interested to hear if anybody knows why a non-zero value for the
'border' attribute might cause this problem, or of possible workarounds to
allow a border to be displayed around tables containing the map (my page
doesn't look right now without borders displayed).

Graham.