[OpenLayers-Users] Poll: Common pitfalls when using OpenLayers / what annoys you the most?

Janis Elmeris janis.elmeris at intelligentsystems.lv
Fri Aug 5 04:37:23 EDT 2011

A couple of problems I can think of right now.

* The slowness of vector layer in IE without Canvas support (up to IE8,
I guess?).
         Zac mentioned performance warnings when adding more than 1000
objects. I get problems with IE7 when adding more than 100 objects. In
my case they are text labels each constructed of two VML elements. They
could theoretically be replaced by DIV elements, but probably better
just wait for people to upgrade their browsers. A workaround is to
measure and control the performance by OL library user script.

* The clumsy (not strightforward) way to get a marker (not necessarily
meaning the Marker class here) on a map that display an info pop-up upon
a mouse click.
         I've seen many posts where people are asking help on this, even
though it would seem one of the basic features one would want to do with
a map. In addition, it seems that there are several ways to do it, some
official examples offered are out-dated and actually supposed to be
deprecated (the Markers layers altogether, as I understand), and some
functions supposedly (as per documentation) creating pop-ups do not work
or do not work as it would seem they should.

Janis