[OpenLayers-Users] Poll: Common pitfalls when using OpenLayers / what annoys you the most?

Craig Stanton c.stanton at niwa.co.nz
Sun Aug 14 17:01:45 EDT 2011

The 180 problem.

Based in New Zealand we constantly want to draw a polygon to select search areas that cross the anti-meridian. While I have managed to fake areas that cross that line by using invalid coordinates such as 190E the polygon then disappears when the center of the map crosses to the other side of the line. To combat that I make two copies of the original polygon, one in the world to the east (+= 360 on every point) and one to the west (-= 360 on every point). That solves rendering a known polygon, but when the user is clicking on the map to define their own area they can't cross the anti-meridian without their line going around the long way.

~Craig

>>> Marc Jansen <jansen at terrestris.de> 8/5/2011 7:26 PM >>>
Hi all,

for my talk "Common pitfalls for users of OpenLayers" [1] at this years
FOSS4G [2] I want to evaluate the parts of OpenLayers where users of the
library experience problems.

You would help me -- and the project itself -- a lot if you could answer
in this thread and tell me what problems you had working with OpenLayers.

Please do not hesitate to tell us what has bugged you, what was unclear
or non-intuitive. Provide us with the sall and the big annoyances Of
course you are heavily encouraged to provide ways around the pitfalls
and possible enhancements.

I want to identify areas which often cause problems... and eventually I
plan on making the library better where this is possible.

Anyone is invited to share his/her thoughts -- so if you want the
library to improve, go on and tell us where we can make things better.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

[1] http://2011.foss4g.org/sessions/common-pitfalls-users-openlayers
[2] http://2011.foss4g.org/