[OpenLayers-Users] Display geotagged photos in OpenLayers

Hendrik Oesterlin hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 16 07:25:17 EDT 2011

"Franz Buchinger" fbuchinger at gmail.com wrote on 16/08/2011 at 21:17:11 +1100
subject "[OpenLayers-Users] Display geotagged photos in OpenLayers" :

Thank you very much for your reply!

> first of all, you probably want to generate thumbnails of your photos and
> load these into the map instead of the large-size images you are using now.
> This gives you a much better performance.

Yes, this is very easy to do. Shrink the jpg instead of setting only
the pixel dimensions.

> The popup can then contain a link
> to the full-res version of the photo.

How can the pop up size be defined?

> Extracting EXIF/GPS metadata from JPEG images in Javascript is possible, but
> quite hacky and out of OpenLayers' scope. There is a Javascript library of
> Jacob Seidelin that does that (
> http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/05/reading-exif-data-with-javascript.html),
> but it comes with the downside that you have to download all hi-res versions
> of the photos to the browser in order to get the gps coordinates contained
> in the exif metadata.

> A better approach would be to dump out the GPS coordinates of the photos
> into a JSON file, and load that file into OpenLayers with an AJAX request.
> You can then specify an Openlayers.Format that parses this information and
> creates a feature for each of your photo.

As I am not a web designer, and I am not familiar enough with
JavaScript, JSON and AJAX this is not easy to achieve for me...

> You can use the exiftool command line utility (
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) to quickly dump out all GPS
> coordinates into a JSON structure, see the reading examples page (
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#reading_examples)
> for more information.

Thank you for this tool! extracting lat/lon is easy with it and I will
be able to create the text file for use with the

var Photos = new OpenLayers.Layer.Text("Photos",{location:"data/photos.txt", projection: epsg4326});
map.addLayer(Photos);

code.

My remaining problem is to enlarge the pop up size big enough to fit
the photo in it.

An "X" to close the pop up would be handy too.

--
Sincerely
Hendrik Oesterlin - email hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de