[OpenLayers-Users] explain openlayers.strategy

Fernando fnorte at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:17:12 EST 2011

Take it easy Mohammed,

The strategy is usually combined with Protocol and/or Format Classes, it's
about 'time' and data. The Strategy class it's used to determine what to do
with a data returned from a protocol, before became visible in an layer.

See an example, that I found in a good book about OpenLayers, that I
recomend to buy or stfw (OpenLayers 2.10 - Begginer's Guide, by Erik
Hazzard, from PACKT Publishing):

*var vector_layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector('More Advanced
Vector Layer',{*
*    protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.HTTP({*
*        url: 'some_data.json',*
*        format: new OpenLayers.Format.GeoJSON({})*
*    }),*
*    strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()]*
*});*
*
*
*The above code would use the HTTP Protocol class and use the GeoJSON
format. Notice how the format is actually part of the protocol object. The
Fixed Strategy class is also used, which essentially just causes the vector
layer to request features once and never request new features again.*

Did you get it, now?

Cya,

Fernando G. Norte
BHte - MG