[OpenLayers-Users] How can I read message from transaction error

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Mon Feb 14 10:25:19 EST 2011

Hi,

   I use the Save strategy to manage WFS-T transactions.  When an error
occurs, I get can easily hav access to the OpenLayers.Protocol.Response
object returned using a "fail" listener.  From this point, I can't
figure out how to read the error message returned by the transaction.  I
can see the responseText and responseXML (containing [1]), but how can I
read it ?  I could browse the responseXML dom and make my way to the
message node and get the text from it, but I wonder if there is a more
elegant way to do so.

   Any hint ?

Thanks a lot,

Alexandre

==== [1] responseText ====

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<wfs:WFS_TransactionResponse version="1.0.0"
xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs"
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
xsi:schemaLocation='http://www.opengis.net/wfs
http://schemas.opengis.net/wfs/1.0.0/WFS-transaction.xsd'>
<wfs:TransactionResult>
<wfs:Status><wfs:FAILED/></wfs:Status>
<wfs:Locator>Update</wfs:Locator>
<wfs:Message>ERROR: value too long for type character varying(80)
</wfs:Message>
</wfs:TransactionResult>
</wfs:WFS_TransactionResponse>

--