[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers error - template.replace is not a function

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Fri Feb 25 05:32:35 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 11:25 AM, ext Leigh Holcombe wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a new user of OpenLayers, with not much JavaScript or Ajax programming experience.  I thought I was starting to get the hang of the API, but then I came across an error.  This error shows up in the Firefox error console, and an empty map-sized container is shown:
>
> template.replace is not a function
> http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js
> Line: 102
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this?  My humble code, relying heavily on various samples and tutorials, is below:

The OSM layer is a subclass of XYZ, and therefore has a constructor that
takes three options:

Parameters
name	{String}
url	{String}
options	{Object} Hashtable of extra options to tag onto the layer

You have passed an object to the second option (url), and when it
tries to call the template replacement on that non-string, you get
an error.

Since the OSM layer is already a sphericalMercator layer, you can
simply remove the second argument to your OSM layer, and this should
solve this problem.

-- Chris