[OpenLayers-Users] Design suggestions for Interactive map!

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 09:07:30 EDT 2011

Hi,

I need some ideas on how to start a project using openlayers. The project
entails a simple map which shows points. Each point has certain attributes
(strings/integers)which correspond to locations in a town. My department would
like a map which shows the individual attributes and the sum totals of the
integer field listed in the attribute table beside the map when they are present
in the map(ie BBOX strategy) or through a selection process(combo control?).

eg. select town A from the comboBox -> the map zooms to the town bounds -> the
statistics from the points present in that town are displayed in tabular form
beside the map.

Is this kind of thing do-able in an interactive way using postgis and geoserver,
or should I be looked at static json lists?

How /where should I start looking?

If anyone has done similar work or has seen such maps i´d be grateful to see
them,

Yours,

Rob