AW: [OpenLayers-Users] Design suggestions for Interactive map!

Daniel Porter danielbporter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:39:16 EDT 2011

Having never used GeoServer, here is the approach I am inclined to suggest:

Configure geoserver to act as a WFS (Web Feature Service), and have it
serve up the features in your BBOX on each map move.  Then in
OpenLayers, clear your vector layer, add the newly served up points,
and then loop through those points and sum up the value you need.

If you're dealing more vectors than OpenLayers can handle (I found
performance to degrade pretty badly over ~200 point objects in FF
3.6), you can render them all as raster, and then in a separate
request query PostGIS (sum(value_to_be_summed) where
st_contains(map_bbox, my_point)) and return that to the browser.  You
could display data for individual attributes in much the same way.

Thanks,

Daniel