[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with maximum URL length

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jun 9 12:12:36 EDT 2011

 Hi all,

 I have a project with many WMS layers which have rather long layer
 names. Now I seem to be hitting a maximum URL length restriction of IE
 in the GetFeatureInfo request. See also
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427

 Do you have any ideas for a workaround? Would a post request work with
 OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo ?

 My project has >50 layers with rather long names and while debugging I
 saw that the URL was around 3000 characters long. IE just cut the URL
 off at 2047 characters and my WMS server resulted in a 500 error code.

 Any ideas?

 Thank you very much,
 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann