[OpenLayers-Users] Layer not coming on at the right scale, descrepancy between openlayers and my WMS?

Planet)x andrew.stewart at reddeer.ca
Wed Jun 29 15:12:35 EDT 2011

I am trying to get a certain WMS layer to display at a particular scale. When
I query my own WMS that the layer is set to be displayed by a scale of
1:15000 I get this -

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <LayerInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebService/GenerateMap">
  <Name
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">Parcels</Name>
  <Title
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">Parcels</Title>
  <Queryable
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">true</Queryable>
  <GeometryType
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">GDBAREAL</GeometryType>
  <MinScale
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">1</MinScale>
  <MaxScale
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">15000</MaxScale>
  <Opaque
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap">false</Opaque>
  <WMSTemporalInfo xsi:nil="true"
xmlns="http://www.intergraph.com/GeoMedia/WebServiceInterface/GenerateMap"
/>
  </LayerInfo>

Except when I actually navigate the map and change the scale to 15,000
either by zooming or using   map.zoomToScale("15000", true) my layer does
not appear. In fact it does not turn on properly until I am around 11,500
scale. There is also no exact number between them as I tried changing my
layer to 1:10000 scale and that made it not appear on my map until 7,937.
Below is how I am declaring my layer and map objects, appreciate any
assistance if anyone has run into this before and has advice on how I can
actually get my layer to turn on at the correct scale, thanks!

map = new OpenLayers.Map("map", {
    controls: [],
    maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(-5621.0164289504, 5778375.8585485,
31216.186095582, 5808291.3979497),
    maxScale: 100,
    minScale: 125e3,
    maxResolution: "auto",
    numZoomLevels: 31,
    fractionalZoom: true,
    units: "m",
    projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:3776"),
    displayProjection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")
});

var layer_Parcel_Fabric = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("Parcel Fabric", wms, {
    layers: ["Parcels", "Private_Linework", "Proposed_Linework"],
    VERSION: "1.1.1",
    transparent: true
}, {
    isBaseLayer: false,