[OpenLayers-Users] WMSGetFeatureInfo + xy mouse coordinates, can this be done?

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Tue Mar 1 14:02:36 EST 2011

Several thousands is too much indeed.  You could :

   * use the BBOX strategy instead of Fixed to request for features in
the current extent only
   * have a WMS layer on zoomed out scales and switch to WFS on zoomed
in scales, but you wouldn't be able to interact with your WMS as you do
with your vector features...
   * take a look at the GetFeature control and see if that could do the
trick (currently not working, but look at the code to get the idea) :

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/getfeature-wfs.html
   * setup an OGC filter to your vector layer to get only specific
features (if your data have some kind of attribute you could filter on),
and make only specific features display on specific zoom levels.  I
already did something like that, see an example here :
http://bs-dev2.mapgears.com/webmap/

Best regards,

Alexandre