[OpenLayers-Users] pinch zoom on Droid

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Mar 7 09:49:05 EST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 8:49 AM, ext Dominik Mikiewicz wrote:

> Not sure if this has something to do with the android version or hosting device but it does work on some of the devices.
> I have a Galaxy S with an Android 2.1 and both google maps and the new OpenLayers examples work excellent. On the other hand HTC Desire Hd with android 2.2 enlarges the whole page no matter what (this happens with gmaps too).

Some Samsung phones apparently had multiple-touch event support in the
browser (as a Samsung specific change) in 2.1. However, some users (Daniel
Morrisette) report that this functionality went away on an upgrade to
2.2. (This is in both GMaps and OL.) So, be careful about upgrading!

This change was not in core android: The Android ticket for this functionality
is:

   http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11909

(As usual, this bug has no feedback from android devs, and presumably at some
point in the future it will be closed along with 300 other tickets and a
close message of 'fixed' with no details :))

Note that some earlier Android devices don't even have hardware support for
this functionality: The G1 (/HTC Dream) had no multitouch at all, and the
N1 (Google's early flagship) had 'weird' touch support where they were not
actually distinct touches, so there was weird behavior... but I don't think
either of these browsers supported multitouch at the JS level anyway.

> The mentioned mobile example does indicate there is only one touch event happening no matter how many fingers are touching the screen. Not sure how it corresponds to the event console available in the sencha touch kitchen sink demo – here the console reports pinch when two fingers touch the screen.

Thanks for the pointer! I'll look into this to extend the mobile demo. Strangly,
the mobile demo uses the exact same mechanism that I understand the pinch-zoom
to use internally, so I don't know why it's not able to report two fingers when
pinch-zooming actually works! (The mobile example is *very* simple, so if anyone
is interested in debugging this, comparing vs. the sencha example would be useful.)

-- Chris