[OpenLayers-Users] Problems with large datasets, WFS, alternatives.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Mar 9 22:35:06 EST 2011

I have a rather large dataset of lines (1000s of them) which is
displayed efficiently enough in WMS. The problem comes when I try to
query them. (Eg everything within a user-created polygon). The query
works fine, but it returns GML for the geometry and this can be very
large. Queries become exceedingly slow. I would normally use this GML to
draw the selected features in a vector layer.

At moment, the only solution I can come up with is query against a
version of the dataset that has been severely decimated (display proper
shape in WMS, and query against generalised layer in WFS). A better
solution??? would be return only non-geometry feature fields and there
was a way to show the selected feature via a WMS layer. (get server to
draw the selected features by WMS with filter and show that layer). Is
this possible?
--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232