[OpenLayers-Users] Finding the country/state/city beneath the mouse click

harahara g_skumar at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 18:30:06 EDT 2011

I tried searching the mailing list (the server threw an exception).
"
HTTP ERROR: 500

url=http://old.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=15906&local=y&query=selecting+the+city+beneath+the+mouse
user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15)
Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
referer=http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-users

RequestURI=/forum/Search.jtp
Caused by:
fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet$JtpRuntimeException:
url=http://old.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=15906&local=y&query=selecting+the+city+beneath+the+mouse
user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15)
Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
referer=http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-users
"

Google wasn't of great help either.

So I apologize in advance if the question has been answered before (probably
many times over).

What I would like to do is pretty simple (from user perspective):

1. User clicks on a city/state/country (depending on the zoom level) on a
Google map or OpenStreetMap

The selected city/state/country is then displayed to the user.

Based on my research so far, the ways to accomplish this are:

a) Have a kml based overlay with country, state borders and city points. Use
OpenLayers support for selecting "features" and then display the appropriate
info

b) Use a WFS to obtain feature info for a given location

On approach a) I have to display the kml depending on zoom level etc.
(Possible definitely but is that the only way?)
b) I am not sure whether I can use a open WFS server such as opengeo.org for
that purpose.

Ideally I would like to be able to do this offline (which I guess means
approach a) ) but I would like to hear your thoughts before digging in.

Thanks

Hara Arcot