[OpenLayers-Users] popup and setzindex

brad brad at numaps.com.au
Wed May 11 18:01:11 EDT 2011

Valeria,

I may have this wrong so people can correct me.

But this seems to be an issue with OL as I notice that if you have a lot of
layers and vectors and event controls you can get in a little bit of a
pickle with respect to different zIndexes.

I got around this by making all my added layers relative to the popups which
I set initially at 10000 with the following >> map.Z_INDEX_BASE['Popup'] =
10000;

Then whenever I add a layer I make its zIndex below that with the following
>> PolygonLayer.setZIndex(map.Z_INDEX_BASE['Popup'] - 1000); So this vector
layer is set at 9000. Etc.

I have noticed that sometimes zIndexes change so periodically in my app I
reset all the zIndexes so that they are where I want them to be with a
function call resetZlevels().

If I also want a layer to be on the top I can temporarily change its zIndex
so its on top of others but always below popup. With the following >>
layerObject.setZIndex(map.Z_INDEX_BASE['Popup']-10);

This way I have managed to work around some of the problems you refer to but
its probably a ‘sledgehammer’ approach.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Brad....