[OpenLayers-Users] OSM Tiles on CD?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 13 11:12:44 EDT 2011

On 5/13/2011 9:11 AM, Arnie Shore wrote:
> Folks, does anyone know of any sources of US tile sets on CD?
>
> I'm moving our open source CAD package to OL/OSM for use in a
> stand-alone, non-Internet operating environment. Such CD availability of
> (ideally) county sets wd be a most attractive alternative to lengthy
> downloads.

I would estimate the a tile set for the whole US depending on the
resolution would require about 1TB of space, maybe less if in jpg format
but certainly in the ball park of 500GB. 500GB would require about 100
DVD's and nearly 800 CD's.

These estimates assume 18-19 zoom levels and are based on other projects
I have tiled in the past, so they may very from your requirements, but
you might want to get a better estimate before deciding. I personally
would rather do a lengthy unattended download then spend a lengthy time
feeding CD's or DVD's to a drive to burn and then to load them.

-Steve W